It’s inevitable – once Old Man Winter settles in, you can count on an increase in your utility bills. Everyone expects it to happen, but nobody likes it. The Department of Energy estimates that in most homes, 45 percent of utility costs in the winter months go to paying for heating costs. That might leave you wondering if there’s anything you can do to keep costs at bay.
Fortunately, there are some measures you can take that are easy to implement, and can help you save energy not only this winter, but year-round. While by themselves these may seem like small changes, when you add them all together they’ll provide you with improved home efficiency, helping to cushion those months where energy bills are higher.
Five Ways You Can Start Saving Energy Today
- Change out lightbulbs. If you have old, incandescent lightbulbs in your home, it’s a good time to make the switch to more efficient ones. There are several energy-efficient types of lightbulbs available today, including halogen incandescents, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) and the most popular choice, light-emitting diodes, or LEDs.
- Many times, people leave chargers and small appliances (like can openers and blenders) plugged in without really thinking about it. The thing is, those items continue to use energy, even when they’re not performing their duties. An extremely easy way to keep the energy-sapping at bay? Simply unplug when not in use!
- You’ve got the power. The power to choose a smart power strip, that is. By trading out your old power strips with smart (or advanced) power strips, you can make your home more energy efficient. This is because equipment typically plugged into power strips – TVs, cable boxes, entertainment systems, etc. – continue to sap energy even when not in use. Smart power strips can detect when devices are in standby mode, and cut off power and save energy.
- It’ll all come out in the wash. Washing with cold water when you do laundry can cut the load’s energy use by more than half. Today there are many cold-water detergents available that effectively ensure your laundry gets clean. And, when you can, wash a full load, since your machine will use the same amount of energy regardless the size load you wash.
- Get smart. Choosing a smart thermostat is a great way to start saving on heating and cooling your home today. These thermostats connect to your Wi-Fi and are able to auto-adjust to the needs of your home and family for optimal comfort and performance. They can “learn” your schedule, keep track of your home energy use, and allow you to control your HVAC system online.
Petcosky & Sons can help you save energy, too.
At Petcosky & Sons, we proudly offer our customers high-efficiency heating and cooling equipment, so if it’s time for new heating or air conditioning, we’ll make sure you get a system that keeps your home comfortable while saving energy. Additionally, we offer maintenance for your systems, designed to help them keep running at their best and most efficient. To learn more about ways we can help you stay comfortable and save energy in the process, give us a call at 607.797.0160, and we’ll be happy to assist you.