As you know, the cooler months can wreak havoc on your plumbing. If water freezes in your pipes, it can cause breaks in your plumbing – which can lead to leaks and damage. This can be even more of a problem if you tend to travel a lot or are away from your home for extended periods of time during the winter months. That’s why it’s important to get your home’s plumbing in check during the fall season.
Fortunately, there are steps you can take as a homeowner to get your plumbing winter-ready. You can take these measures on your own, or, if you’re not sure what to do, you can call your plumber to help. Either way, these are all considerations you’ll want to make in order to ensure that your plumbing performs well and stays intact, no matter how cold it gets outside.
6 Tips for Winterizing Your Pipes
- Insulate your pipes. Wrap your pipes in insulation sleeves or foam pipe insulation, making sure not to leave any gaps. Keep in mind, PVC pipes are more resilient to the cold than metal pipes.
- Make sure your exterior is airtight. Seal any places where cold air can creep in and affect your plumbing.
- Keep your interior warm enough. If you’re home, this probably won’t be a problem, but if you’re traveling or living away for part of the year, make sure your indoor temperature is kept at a level that will prevent your pipes from freezing.
- Let your faucet drip a bit. If you’re away from home, or dealing with a heating emergency, keep one of your faucets dripping slightly so water can move freely through your pipes.
- Insulate your space. If you have a crawl space, make sure you have adequate insulation. Pipes in crawl spaces freeze faster than pipes in basements, so keep your crawlspace well-insulated and free from drafts.
- Use heat tape if needed. Many people prefer to use heat tape to keep plumbing from freezing, but make sure you follow the safety recommendations in order to avoid a fire hazard.
Choose Petcosky & Sons to help with your plumbing winterization needs.
We’re pleased to provide you with the plumbing services you need in order to ensure your plumbing stays unfrozen and leak-proof all winter long. Just give us a call at 607.797.0160 to learn more about the plumbing maintenance services we offer, and we will be more than happy to assist you.