How Do You Know What Furnace is Best for Your Binghamton, NY Home?

You’ve seen the signs that you might need a new furnace in your Binghamton, NY home – more frequent need for repairs, higher utility bills and a marked decrease in your home comfort. You certainly don’t want to be left out in the cold once the snow flies, but you also aren’t sure what exactly you need for optimal home comfort. Before you make any decisions, at Petcosky & Sons, we think it’s important for our customers to do some research.

You should know that looking for a furnace is as important is looking for a new car. Winters in the Binghamton, NY area are long, cold and demanding on both your furnace and your energy budget. That’s why when the time comes for a new furnace; there are a few factors you need to take into consideration. The furnace’s energy efficiency, innovative features and correct size are all important aspects to take into account.

System Efficiency

The first factor you’ll want to consider is the new furnace’s annual fuel utilization efficiency, or AFUE as it’s commonly called. What is an AFUE? It’s a percentage that shows the percentage of fuel that goes to heat your home. For instance, if the furnace currently in your Binghamton, NY home has an AFUE of 75 percent, that means only 75 percent of the fuel it uses actually heats your home. The other 25 percent is wasted, essentially going out the chimney. Today’s furnaces boast AFUE ratings up to 98 percent – and that can save you significantly on energy costs. True, a high-efficiency furnace can be more costly to purchase, but you’ll save on energy every time the furnace runs, which often makes up for that initial additional cost in fuel savings.

Innovative Features

If you have an older furnace in your Binghamton, NY home, you’re probably missing out on some of today’s more innovative furnace features. For instance, many modern furnaces are built with an electronically commutated motor, which helps with energy efficiency and home comfort. With this type of motor, less electricity is used and the motor runs more quietly. The air is mixed more consistently, leading to more even warming of your home. Additionally, there are a couple of newer furnace types that can help you stay more comfortable. Variable heat output furnaces are, in essence, “smart” furnaces, in that they adjust the amount of the fuel sent to the burner. That means, when you need less heat, the furnace doesn’t burn as much fuel. Condensing furnaces are one of the highest efficiency furnaces you can buy because of their dual heat exchangers. Furnaces such as these boast fuel efficiencies of 95 percent or higher.

Furnace Size

When you call on the experienced HVAC technicians at Petcosky & Sons, we’ll help you find out the best furnace size for the unique needs of your Binghamton, NY home. If you install something too large, the furnace will run in short cycles, which causes wear and tear because of the frequent starting up and shutting down. Too small a furnace will not keep your home adequately heated. By performing a load calculation, our expert technician will help you get the furnace that’s just right!

When it comes time to purchase your new furnace, do your research, and then call us. Petcosky & Sons provides furnace services in Binghamton, NY. We want to provide you with the best furnace system installation possible. We’re proud of our skilled technicians and our knowledgeable sales staff, as well as the high-quality furnaces we provide. Our priority is always your happiness and your comfort, and we’re not satisfied until you are. When you need a new furnace in your home from a name you can trust, contact Petcosky & Sons. No matter what your furnace needs, we’re here to help. Just call our trusted team at Petcosky & Sons at (607) 797-0160, and we’ll be more than happy to assist you.